Tires marked 255/40R13 converted to an inch reference have the dimensions Height – Width – Wheel Diameter respectively 21″ – 10″ – 13″. With a wheel circumference of 66“, respectively, corresponds to 959 revolutions per mile.
What's in this post?
What does 255/40R13 mean?
The many symbols on car tires are not just for show. They provide helpful information to drivers so they can easily choose the right type of tire, size, and brand that best fits their vehicle needs. So when you see a number and letter on a tire, it means:
1. The initials of the vehicle classification that can be used with this tire:
- “P” – Passenger.
- “LT” – Light Truck.
- “T” – Temporary Tire.
- “ST” – a Special Trailer tire (Intended to be used only on cars, boats, and utility trailers).
2. “255” is the width of the tire in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall.
3. “40” is sidewall height, as a percentage of the width. In this example, the sidewall is 40% as tall as it is wide.
4. “R” stands for radial construction.
5. “13” is the diameter of the wheel in inches.
Replace or Choose a Different-Sized Wheel and Tire
There are quite a few reasons why you might change your tire size. Some of the main reasons are to look more fashionable, to optimize fuel economy, to reduce vehicle load or to increase flexibility.
If you’re looking to replace your current tires with a different size, it’s important to know a few things about sizing before you make your purchase.
Depending on the purpose of use, you can freely choose tires of different heights or widths. However, there is one thing that you should definitely remember, do not change the overall diameter of the tire too much.
Overall diameter cannot be changed by more than 3% of the car’s original overall tire diameter in an upgrade that is considered safe.
|Overall Diameter||Tire Width||Wheel Size||% Difference|
|225/45R13||21″||8.9″||13 x 7-8.5″||Equal|
What size is 255/40R13 in inches?
- Tire width: 10″
- Sidewall height: 4″
- Wheel size: 13 x 8.5-10”
- Tire Diameter: 21″
- Tire circumference: 66″
- Revs/Mile: 959
FAQ About 255/40R13 Tire
Which rims will fit 255/40R13 tires?
- 255/40R13 tires should be mounted on rims that measure 13 x 4.5-6”. But the measured rim for 255/40R13 tires is 5″.
How many inches tall is a 255/40R13 tire?
- The height of a tire depends on the width and sidewall height of the tire. A 255/40R13 tire is about 21″ inches tall.
What is the width of a 255/40R13 tire?
- The width of the tire when in the metric system is 255mm. After converting the total width of the tire is 10“
Now that you know how to read tire size information, you can be sure to select the right tires for your car the next time you need a new set.
You can also use this knowledge to better understand what your mechanic or tire professional is talking about when they recommend a certain type or size of tire for your vehicle.